Thursday, Friday, March 12 – 13
What we did in class today: We studied the concept of “niche” as it related to an ecosystem.
What to do if you missed class today: For Thursday, answer the questions below about Silverton. For Friday, watch the film below about niches and then use your answers for Thursday and answer the question in red font below about Subway Restaurants. E-mail your answers to Mr. Jamsa.
1) If ________________ moved to Silverton, that business would do quite well because ___________________.
(think of a business that you think would do great in Silverton – one that is not here right now)
2) We have lots and lots of Himilayan Blackberry Bushes (near the creeks) in and near our city. If a rodent from Malaysia that eats those bushes moved to Silverton,_________________
(How would the species do? What would you expect would happen?)
3) If a Walmart’s Super Center moved to Silverton, 3 consequences for local businesses would be (specific)
4) If a new species moves into an ecosystem, 3 consequences for local species could be
5) When a soccer team that only practices on turf plays the championship on thick grass______
(How are they going to do? Why?)
6) If a forest always has a hard winter with lots of snow, then one year it is warmer with zero snow ___
(what might be a consequence for the animals that live there)
7) A business (not in Silverton) that would NOT do well in Silverton is ______________ because_____________.
8) If the World’s Best Coffee Stop moved to Silverton, and EVERYONE preferred their coffee, what are three options for Silverton coffee company?
(this is a fact – no one makes tastier coffee – so what can the local coffee shops do if they want to survive?)
FRIDAY WORK BELOW:
Why is it not possible for all of the businesses in Silverton to all be replaced by Subway Restaurants? In other words, why could the business community of Silverton only be a bunch of Subway restaurants? Explain your answer. Give examples.
Wednesday, March 11
What we did in class today: We did an activity called “Oh Deer.” This shared experience was to help us discuss future topics related to our final exam questions.
What to do if you missed class today: Make a line graph of the data listed below. The title of the graph is “Population of Animals over Time.” Make one line for the population of the deer. Make another for the population of the lion. Thus, your graph will have two lines. Take a picture and send it to Mr. Jamsa for credit.
|Year||# Deer||# Lions|
Tuesday, March 10
What we did in class today: We watched a film and did a few activities to help appreciate why life changes over time and the direction that change might take.
What to do if you missed class today: You will need this information. Obtain a copy of the handout from Mr. Jamsa. Copy the notes of a classmate. Ask Mr. Jamsa if you have any questions!